External Relations Officer Job at UNHCR
Dar es Salaam
Standard Job Description
External Relations Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Direct supervision is usually exercised by an Snr External Relations Officer of Representative who provides guidance on the applicable procedures.
Relevant functional units may also provide advice at HQ.
The incumbent may supervise some support staff.
External contacts are predominantly with Partners, media, government embassies, and other international organizations on matters of importance to the Organization.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description.
They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional, and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity, and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
- Assist in the planning of a consultative process with UNHCR colleagues (Programme, Protection, etc.) with external actors and partners, so as to develop and implement a protection and assistance strategy, with clearly articulated objectives, timelines, and outputs.
- Assist the implementation of a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, the media, academia, and persons of concern).
- Assist in the articulation of all issues pertaining to the needs of the populations of concern and the strategies in place to respond to their needs.
- Inform the UNHCR Country Team of the UNHCR priorities so as to ensure that they are given adequate weight in the publications and documentation of the UN Country Team.
- Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide accurate information by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings, and missions. Prepare reports as appropriate.
- In accordance with the operational context and in close cooperation with headquarters, propose new and non-traditional funding sources, as appropriate, including private sector and humanitarian pooled/basket funds (e.g. Central Emergency Response Fund, Human Security Fund).
- Through a consultative process with headquarters, disseminate information on UNHCR¿s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement special projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern in the country’s operation.
- Participate on behalf of the Representative and other supervisors in inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives, and tools.
- Support senior management in representing UNHCR in the UN Country Team and other UN coordination fora.
- Support, and participate in, local UN integrated missions, Inter-Agency Standing Committee, Emergency Relief Coordinator, and Cluster communication strategies and initiatives.
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing, and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
- Consolidate information on UNHCR¿s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals
- Assist in the coordination of the drafting of, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases, and articles.
- Assist in the development of targeted communications strategies and media packages for situations and/or activities that require focused attention.
- Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political, and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate.
- Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases, and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations.
- On behalf of the Representative, approve fundraising messages.
- On behalf of the Representative, approve any relevant expenditure for the implementation of fundraising activities.
- Propose which donors to approach and which operations or activities to prioritize for special fundraising appeals.
- Implement all aspects of a communications strategy.
- Approve budgets and expenditures for communications activities.
- Clear external relations/communication products and tools as appropriate.
- Represent UNHCR on behalf of senior management in fund-raising and communication priorities in inter-agency initiatives and fora.
- Perform other related duties as required.
External Relations Officer Job at UNHCR
- Education & Professional Work Experience
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For P3/NOC – 6 years relevant experience with an Undergraduate degree OR 5 years relevant experience with a Graduate degree or 4 years relevant experience with a Doctorate degree
RELATED: 2 Medical Doctors at Tembo Nickel
Field(s) of Education
- Political Sciences, Social Sciences, International Relations,
Journalism, or another relevant field.
- (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
- Experience in humanitarian operations in a field environment.
- Excellent knowledge of the local institution, politics, and culture.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR operations both at Headquarters and in the Field.
- Fund-raising and programming/program management experience.
- Experience working with social media.
- IT-Web Content Management
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CO-Drafting and Documentation
- ER-Inter-Agency External Relations
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and the UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties.
This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination, and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, supporting ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up, and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position.
Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting, and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations:
To view occupational safety and health considerations for this duty station, please visit this link: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel
Nature of Position:
The Communications Officer reports directly to the Representative in close coordination and consultation with the operation’s senior management.
Leading the Communications Unit and through a proactive communication strategy, the incumbent will assist the Representative in carrying out communication and advocacy actions for the persons of concern to the High Commissioner and in line with the Agency’s mandate.
The incumbent must have excellent written and spoken communication skills in English. These will be crucial in assisting the Representation in demonstrating rational and impactful utilization of resources entrusted to UNHCR Tanzania.
The products to be developed and shared regularly include; Operational Updates, Fact Sheets, Advocacy Papers, Success Stories, Thematic Brochures etcetera. The incumbent will also have to communicate and have liaisons with the government.
As Swahili is the official language in Tanzania and as some communication is received in Swahili, the incumbent should have knowledge of the language which is key in communication with the government.
The incumbent must be a strong team player, forging relationships and coordinating activities across multiple internal entities to achieve shared objectives.
The incumbent should have a proven ability to work well under pressure on multiple tasks simultaneously, establish priorities, be client-focused and deliver creative and quality output in a time-efficient manner in support of the organization’s communication and advocacy priorities.
S/he must demonstrate analytical and organizational skills, the ability to adapt quickly and independently carry tasks forward as well as coordinate with others to achieve goals.
S/he should be able to handle confidential matters with tact, diplomacy, discretion, and respect for confidentiality.
Living and Working Conditions:
Dar es Salaam is the major city of the United Republic of Tanzania where the Representation office is situated. The location of Representation Office is in Masaki, Rufiji Street, and Off Haile Selassie Road.
Most international staff members live in the seaside neighborhoods of Masaki and Oyster Bay, and to a lesser extent in Msasani and Mikocheni all of which cluster in and around a peninsula to the north of the city Centre.
Masaki and Oyster Bay share the advantages of having a good concentration of internationally-oriented housing and amenities including shops, schools, and medical facilities; all are comparatively secure, and of course, enjoy the benefit of being close to the sea. The cost of living is considered high.
Security Conditions: The duty station can be described as relatively safe with a stable political environment. However, caution should be exercised when walking in the dark.
BA: International Relations (Required), BA: Journalism (Required), BA: Political Science (Required), BA: Social Science (Required)
Annual Budget OL in Operation/Office, Number of Persons of Concern Served, Number of Workforce in Operation/Work Setting, Workforce to Supervise, Working with Persons of Concern: Others of Concern, Working with Persons of Concern: Refugees
Accountability, Analytical thinking, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Empowering & building trust, Innovation & creativity, Judgement & decision making, Managing performance, Managing resources, Organizational awareness, Political awareness, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Bi-annual Compendium 2022 Part B – November 2022
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance
The deadline for submitting the application is 15 December 2022.