Senior Finance and Administration Officer Job at D Tree
Position: Senior Finance and Administration Officer
Reports to: Tanzania Finance & Operations Manager
Location: Stone Town, Zanzibar
Start Date: September 19, 2022
Who we are:
D-tree International is a global digital health organization dedicated to ensuring that everyone has access to high-quality primary healthcare in underserved areas.
We do this by working with governments to design, build and deploy digital tools for frontline health workers that improve their ability to deliver high-quality, evidence-based care.
D-tree engages with governments to develop a shared vision for the potential of digital health, demonstrates the effectiveness of digital systems to improve health outcomes, and accompanies governments to scale these digital systems nationally and institutionalize them within their broader health systems.
Since 2011, D-tree has partnered with the Zanzibar Ministry of Health to implement an innovative digital health program, Jamii ni Afya (“Community is health”) supports Community Health Volunteers to provide health services within their communities.
This program has consistently demonstrated improved health
outcomes, a strengthened community health system, and increased use of data for decision-making.
Over time, Jamii ni Afya has grown from a pilot to a national program and has demonstrated how digital technology can transform the quality of a health system. The Zanzibar government has committed to adopting Jamii ni Afya on a national scale; integrating digitally-enabled Community Health Volunteers into
their formal Community Health Strategy.
This represents the world’s first nationally scaled digital community
health program, bringing high-quality health services to the doorsteps of all of Zanzibar.
The digital health program reached full scale in August 2021, allowing D-tree to focus on program sustainability, quality, and impact.
Who you are:
We are seeking a Senior Finance and Administration Officer, based in Stone Town, Unguja, who will work under the supervision and direction of the Finance & Operations Manager (FOM) and you will support in ensuring effective and efficient operation of the financial procedures and other administrative aspects for the Zanzibar and Pemba offices in line with all applicable financial policies and procedures of D-tree and its funders.
Your position will be overseeing the Finance & Administration Coordinator (based in Unguja) and the Logistics
and Administration Assistant (based in Pemba).
You will be responsible for supporting the financial accounting
system (QuickBooks), compliance, and other administrative aspects of the Zanzibar expanding portfolio.
You will work closely with Program Teams as well as the global support finance team based in the US to ensure
financial and accounting records are processed accurately and backup documentation is in order at all times.
What you will do:
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support Finance & Operations Manager to ensure a high standard of financial stewardship for the
- Ensure adherence to D-tree financial and HR policies/procedures, including ensuring proper documentation and filing of all financial records
- Provide direction to the ZNZ team to ensure that implementation of all grants/award-related policies and procedures under D-Tree follow funder requirements.
- Support the Finance and Operations Manager in undertaking grant and financial reviews and in executing audits in coordination with the global operations team and Senior Finance and Admin Officer in Dar es Salaam
- Stay abreast of NGO compliance for the Zanzibar sub-office (liaison with regulatory bodies as necessary)
- Support in the capacity building of staff to raise awareness of compliance requirements and support them to internalize best practices
- Identify and inform of key issues and weaknesses in the system and provide recommendations for improving control processes and/or procedures.
- Identify procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of financial report data.
- Ensuring that the internal controls are adhered to in all areas of operation.
- Actively contribute to both internal and external audit feedback on a regular basis to ensure the accuracy of Zanzibar financial reports.
Senior Finance and Administration Officer Job at D Tree
Budget Development and Management:
- Participate in the preparations of donor and annual budgets by providing estimates based on current prices available on the market
- Support the tracking of actions from the monthly budget vs actual reviews for Zanzibar programs (update dashboards, create projections, review burn rates and trends)
- Lead timely month end, quarter end, and year-end closings for Zanzibar transactions, ensuring that financial postings are done by the 4th of every month or proactively communicating any delays
- Review all cash registers daily to ensure running balances are accurate and then properly recorded in Quick Books (QBs)
- Timely filing of bank statements and proactive review for discrepancies against bank registers and QBs for support to action
- Review all staff advances and liquidations on a timely basis to ensure correct coding and adequate supporting documentation are attached
- Support Finance & Operations Manager in drafting and preparing donor reports
- Assisting FOM in maintaining accurate and complete books, accounts, and other financial records adhering to the applicable financial standard to ensure full accountability
- Reviewing and ensuring the correctness, completeness, and adequacy of the accounting documents when making payments.
- Reviewing payments and ensuring the correct procedures, documentation, and approvals are in place for complete audit and logic trails of transactions.
- Ensure all payments to vendors are processed in a timely way with accurate documentation
- Ensure all commitments pending at month end are booked in a timely way to ensure accurate reporting
- Ensure timely payments of payroll/contractual obligations – ZSSF, ZHELB, WHT
- Process VAT reimbursements for Zanzibar, as needed
- Review petty cash transactions and ensure transactions have been approved, correctly allocated, and recorded
- Analyze and process the monthly stipends to community health volunteers and supervisors and ensure proper backup documentation and approvals are in place
- Oversee and review updates of the phone insurance tracker, back up, and reconciliations with QB and log register
- Managing relationships with mobile money vendors for allocation of data bundles and negotiating for reduced rates
Bank and Cash Management:
- Ensuring internal control procedures are followed for all cash disbursements, receipts, and transfers
- Maintenance of an accurate and updated cash flow report to ensure disbursement of funds for Zanzibar programs
- Liaison with vendors to resolve queries and to ensure problems of long outstanding Payments are minimized
- Preparation of cash forecasts and submission to Dar Office to coordinate with D-tree Global Support for release of funds
- Working with program staff to help them develop more accurate cash forecasts
- Maintain bank relationships, and plan and monitor Zanzibar cash flow requirements in conjunction with program managers and Finance and Operations Manager
- Manage corporate mobile money accounts, including monitoring the balance, managing online tracking systems, and initiating and verifying transactions
- Participate in procurement/tender meetings and processes as required.
- Support the recruitment and onboarding processes for new hires for the Zanzibar and Pemba offices.
- Provide necessary support to the field teams as needed in the implementation of program activities
- Support and ensure D-tree resources are safeguarded and put to optimal use in line with intended business purpose.
- Provide cover for Operations staff as may be called upon
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time.
The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the
details below if you have the right skill set and attitude.
- At least 5 years of financial management experience with global organization/s in a mid-level position or similar role.
- Bachelor’s degree required; (accounting, business management, public administration, or related field) or Final levels in ACCA qualification or equivalent.
- Experience in a project-based non-profit sector that requires financial tracking and reporting for separate donors across multiple funding sources (USG, multilateral, private foundation)
- In-depth knowledge of financial regulations and accounting processes in relation to program funding mechanisms, procurement, compliance, and reporting
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize work in a busy environment
- Attention to detail and self-motivation
- Proficient and experienced in QuickBooks and/or other accounting packages.
- Proficiency in MS Office – including Word and Excel.
• Excellent spoken and written English and Swahili, and ability to communicate in an international environment
• Interactive team player, with the ability to work effectively in a multicultural work environment with colleagues of different nationalities and cultures.
• Initiative and ability to make informed independent judgments but a commitment to teamwork
26,000,000 TZS to 42,000,000 TZS gross annual salary inclusive of all cash compensation.
Note: Starting salaries typically fall in the lower half of the salary range; however, they are ultimately determined by the scope of the position, the candidate’s relevant experience, and internal equity.
To apply for this role please fill in the google form here.
Only applicants who respond to all questions and include their CV, as well as a thoughtful, tailored cover letter, will be considered.
This position is open to Tanzania nationals only.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Qualified candidates may be interviewed before the application closing date.