Research and Policy Specialist Job at UONGOZI Institute
The Institute is currently seeking to fill the position of Research and Policy Specialist (RPS). Reporting to the CEO, the RPS will be responsible for the management of the department of Research and Policy.
The RPS will be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of programs with the department in line with the objectives established in the Institute’s strategic plan.
They will also be actively engaged in building and strengthening partnerships, as well as resource mobilization. The RPS will lead a team of professionals and is a member of the Institute’s senior management team.
Duties and responsibilities
Manage Research and Policy department
- Oversee the development of the operational plans for the department as a part of the Institute’s planning.
- Take a strategic role in the design, management, and delivery of research projects by conducting qualitative and quantitative research to the highest standards and develop appropriate policy ideas for the Institute’s clientele
- Develop new projects and policy ideas as part of the Institute’s s future research programs.
- Lead the process of conceptualization and implementation of the various activities of the department (policy forums/dialogues, action research, technical assistance, information sharing).
- Ensure timely quality reporting of the department’s activities in line with the Institute’s reporting processes.
Develop and monitor budget for the department.
- Provide advisory and technical support on the strategic direction of the Institute
- Contribute to the management and strategic direction of the Institute as a key member of the management team.
- Ensure that the department’s activities are in line with and support the implementation of all other areas of work of the institute.
- Provide guidance and support the CEO in his interactions with key stakeholders of the Institute.
Coordinate the department’s activities whilst ensuring quality and relevance
- Prepare concept notes for research studies and policy dialogues.
- Conduct studies and oversee the implementation of research activities, including conceptualization, outsourcing, and quality assurance.
- Identify existing and emerging global issues that impact national and regional development to select topics/themes for policy dialogues, as well as advisory services for the Government.
- Identify potential candidates (eminent leaders, renowned experts) for the Institute’s televised programs, Meet the Leader and In Focus, and advise on efficient and innovative approaches to conducting the programs.
- Prepare presentations and speeches for various stakeholders, including specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Networking with the Institute’s stakeholders and resource mobilisation activities
- Nurture and build relationships with public sector institutions to identify current government priorities to strategic entry points for the Institute.
- Nurture and establish relationships with development partners and other relevant actors to achieve collaboration, cooperation, and alliances on program development, implementation, and resource mobilization.
- Support the development and implementation of the Institute’s resource mobilization strategy.
- Provide input to advocacy and public communication strategies.
Manage personnel under supervision
- Actively pursue opportunities for the department members to continue to learn best practices in research, policies, and other learning and development opportunities for professional development.
- Create an enabling work environment and promote teamwork.
- Supervise, coach, and guide personnel.
- Ensure a common vision aligned with the Institute’s strategic plan is shared among the team.
- Leadership – ability to persuade others to follow.
- People management – ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Team management – ability to create a common vision and well-functioning teams.
- Communication – ability to listen, persuade and transform.
- Delivery – ability to get things done whilst exercising good judgment.
- Knowledge of local Governance structures and a good understanding of the political economy.
- Research management – capacity to identify, manage studies and research. Capacity to substantially contribute to undertaking research.
- Contract management – ability to manage and oversee outsourced research and other assignments.
- Advisory skills – ability to facilitate advisory services to the high-level bodies of public sectors.
- Operational management – ability to develop plans, budgets, and concept notes and deliver on them.
- Networking and stakeholders management – ability to manage multiple stakeholders in the highest levels (including leaders from the public sector, development partners, and private sector) and balance often contradictory expectations, building and maintaining relationships.
- Collaboration and partnerships – the ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships.
- Analytical Skills – Ability to understand complex situations, and come up with ideas for program development and improvement.
- Writing skills – capacity to tailor and deliver messages in writing in a concise manner.
- Results-based management – the ability to link implementation of plans to achieving results.
- Communication – ability to effectively communicate intensions and requirements to internal and external stakeholders.
- Team building – ability to work effectively with diverse groups of professionals towards common goals.
- Master’s degree in social sciences or relevant field. Ph.D. in social sciences or relevant field is an asset.
- Ten years of relevant experience with eight years in senior management role(s) related to research and policy.
- Solid research skills with proven experience in writing, coordinating studies, reports articles, and research management
- Experience in linking research/studies, policy, and programming.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Fluency in English and Swahili.
- Proven track record of partnership building and resource mobilization.
How to apply
- Interested candidates should submit their application, comprising of:
- A brief statement on the related or similar work as above.
- Detailed curriculum vitae with contact details for three referees.
- Copy of your latest write-up.
- Copies of certificates.
- Above to be submitted to the following address:
Chief Executive Officer
Plot no. 100, Magogoni street, Kivukoni
P.O. Box 105753, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Phone: +255 (0) 22 211 0374
OR through Email firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line “RESEARCH & POLICY SPECIALIST”.
Deadline for receiving applications: June 24, 2021
UONGOZI Institute is an equal opportunity employer, committed to promoting a diverse workforce. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.