Livelihood Assistant – World Vision Uganda
Position: Livelihood Assistant
Report to: Livelihood Officer
Location: West Nile – Uganda
Purpose of the position:
To implement field level Resilience and Livelihood programmatic activities in line with targets and partnership standards in a manner that contributes to sustained and improved child wellbeing.
Project implementation and reporting:
- Provide expertise and technical assistance in agronomy and agribusiness, climate smart agriculture, marketing, IGA, DRR and Natural Resource Management.
- Take lead in Resilience and Livelihood planning, budgeting, implementation and monitoring of progress.
- Mobilize and facilitate the engagements of stakeholders during planning and development meetings, workshops and other fora.
- Identify local level partners and support/ facilitate the partners in the implementation of planned activities.
Community engagement and advocacy:
- Take overall lead in the coordination of field level activities
- Ensure Small holder farmers’ groups are mobilized, organized and strengthened into strong business groups/cooperatives (rural producer cooperatives, marketing cooperatives, Savings groups/Savings and Credit Cooperatives) for bulk purchase of inputs, value addition, bulking and collective marketing of produce
- Develop the farmer’s capacity to improve production and productivity of selected enterprises of desired quality by the market through demonstrations to farmers
- Establish and follow up demonstrations to facilitate production and productivity among the farmers. Establish Green houses.
- Coordinate partners in implementation of agreed action plans.
- Ensure Integration of Resilience and Livelihood activities with other internal and external programmes including that of governments.
- Provide training and backstopping on gender to partners
- Build the capacity of farmers’ business groups/cooperatives to collectively engage local leaders on identified issues.
- Mobilize communities to participate in annual agricultural events – such as agricultural shows, World Food Day, practicing all-Natural Resource Management technologies (water harvesting etc.)
Documentation, Reporting and knowledge management
- Prepare high quality reports, both narrative and quantitative information and reporting on relevant indicators and outcomes. Ensure that all reports are delivered according to high quality standards and are always submitted on time as per WVU standards.
- Ensure Care givers of RCs are members of farmer business groups/cooperatives and are accessing business developments services.
- Participate in monthly / quarterly reflection meetings with Child Monitors and guardians/parents and child protection committees to address findings from monitoring.
- Work with CDF to identify partners who will support the implementation of the Resilience and Livelihood Technical Programme within the Area Programme.
- Take lead in documentation and sharing of Impact/success stories and best practices to promote learning.
- Organize quarterly review meetings for partners and communities at the project sites to reflect on programmes/projects approaches, tools, impact of interventions, best practices, exit and sustainability strategies as well as create spaces and opportunities for action-learning and debate
Child Protection and Wellbeing;
- Ensure a strict compliance to the WVU child safeguarding practices with respect to the child protection policy, PSEA/code of conduct at all times; monitoring and reporting on compliance to CP policy standards in the project/project area.
- Mobilization and facilitation of communities, local organizations, local government and institutions to participate in Child protection designs, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation including reporting on child protection priorities.
Technical Programme goal and objectives, Key Result Areas;
- Facilitate child protection policy dialogues and campaign interventions by ensuring linkages and coherence in engagements within the project and Area Programme (AP) and National level, in the context of integrated ministry.
- Work closely with the line supervisor(s) to ensure integration of Peace & Child Protection interventions in the project including uptake and effective roll out of CP project models and approaches.
- Facilitate effective and meaningful participation of children as agents of change in all project interventions/processes in line with WV Child Participation guidelines.
- Engage with project partners to assess and address the existing child protection related issues in the community and ensure appropriate and timely reporting/action is undertaken on Child Protection CP incidents.
- Facilitate proper formation of Child protection working teams/groups/committees in line with World Vision systems approach to Child Protection.
- Facilitate child protection advocacy campaigns and engagements at community level to ensure policy implementation and change.
- Build multi-sectoral linkages and community-based initiatives, networks and coordination mechanisms in establishing and strengthening child protection prevention, response and referral pathways to allow a more efficient access to services for the MVC.
- Build skills and capacity of communities, CPCs, Para-social workers to work with other local duty-bearers & service providers to understand and independently carry-out child protection actions to effectively respond to child abuse cases in line with standard case management procedures and principles.
- Organize and facilitate child protection related research activities through focus group discussions and interviews, with the guidance of the line supervisor(s).
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a diploma in agriculture or agribusiness or any other relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in community work and engagement in Agriculture, Economic Development and Livelihood
- Must have good Entrepreneurship, micro finance and strong agribusiness skills
- Must be computer literate
- Must demonstrate good writing and reporting skills
- Ability to communicate in applicable local languages is an added advantage
- Must exhibit high level integrity
How to apply:
Please submit your application and complete Curriculum Vitae, to Website: https://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-uganda
Address your application to the People & Culture Specialist, Recruitment, World Vision Uganda
Deadline for receiving applications is 9th December, 2020. (Qualified natives of West Nile region are particularly encouraged to apply)