Job Opportunity at Centre for Strategic Litigation, Legal Researcher
About the company
The Centre for Strategic Litigation (CSL) is a Tanzania based not for profit organization that seeks to advance the vision of a just and tolerant society and a vibrant and inclusive democracy grounded in respect for the Rule of Law and justice for all. Based in Zanzibar, the Center works at the interface of advocacy and litigation. We were founded to advance a democratic culture in Tanzania where the supremacy of the constitution and respect for the Rule of Law are central pillars. CSL deploys the law to encourage citizen agency in advancing the rule of law through strategic litigation, public education, petitioning, legal research, and judicial reviews as well as strategic use of media, especially online media. CSL seeks to advance the development of case law on democracy, rule of law and freedom of expression in Tanzania.
About the role
The primary task of the incumbent is to conduct legal research and to participate in building a CSL research portfolio through a series of research products including legal briefs, case notes, political economy analyses, articles, journals, blogs, and other forms of publications. As with most members of the CSL team, the Legal Research Associate will participate in executing CSL activities from time to time in line with the CSL strategy and framework of activities.
To be able to excel in this role, an ideal candidate should possess the following characteristics:
- Have a curious mind and tenacity.
- Have impeccable writing skills.
- Be a multi-tasker with the capacity to juggle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Be a well-read and open-minded individual.
- Be a self-motivated individual with an ability to work under less supervision.
- Highly organized, efficient, and dependable.
- Be an excellent communicator and time manager to be able to deliver timely results
- Must enjoy working with people and have the ability to work well individually, on cross-functional teams, and in collaborative partnerships with other community agencies and organizations.
- Conduct research by employing relevant and ethical methodologies such as focus groups, literature review, desk reviews, surveys, and interviews.
- Review and organize current research data into meaningful formats for use by internal and external stakeholders.
- Compile rankings, editorial, and data for the research publications.
- Perform other lawful duties as assigned by the supervisor and/or the Chief Executive Officer.
- Research strategy and portfolio
- Action research
- Rule of Law Index and review
- Legal Research