Job Opportunity at African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI) – Credit Analyst
African Trade Insurance Agency (“ATI”)
The African Trade Insurance Agency (“ATI”) is a pan-African multilateral financial institution established in 2001 by the African States. ATI was originally launched with the technical and financial support from the World Bank Group and has had more recent support from the African Development Bank. ATI has grown into a market leader for risk mitigation in Africa, establishing itself as Africa’s primary trade and investment insurer and one of Africa’s largest Development Finance Institutions with an outstanding portfolio exceeding US$6bn at year-end 2019.
ATI provides political and credit risk insurance to companies, investors, and lenders doing business in Africa. For over a decade, ATI has maintained an A rating for Financial Strength and Counterparty Credit by Standard & Poor’s, and in 2019 obtained a second A3/Stable rating from Moody’s. ATI’s membership includes the African Member States as well as a number of corporate and institutional shareholders. Besides its head office in Nairobi, ATI currently has offices in Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia
Working at ATI offers unique career opportunities. Candidates are invited to apply for the following open positions below:
Position: Credit Analyst
Main Functions and Responsibilities
Under the oversight of the Senior Credit Analyst and overall supervision of Chief Risk Officer, your functions and duties shall be as follows:
- For a given set of countries, analyze and monitor the general economic and political environment insofar it affects the creditworthiness of companies, including Key sectors of the economy and their performance
- Quality and availability of information on companies
- The regulatory environment i.e. government regulations and policies towards commercial entities
- The legal environment i.e. security perfection, bankruptcy and legal ways for debt collection
- Undertake financial analysis of corporate customers using credit skills, ratio analysis; evaluation of parent support policies; judgment of management, and strategy. In this respect, analyze historical and projected financial statements of potential and existing obligors, as well as potential and existing ATI insured’s; monitor receipt of quarterly/annual financial information and credit grading of accounts for annual review; monitor the quality of ATI’s credit exposure portfolio by ensuring that limits are consistent and respected, and to identify and signal early warning signs of credit deterioration
- Review and update (as may be required from time to time) the organization’s credit information database and obligor underwriting system
- Evaluate and understand risks associated with individual applications for insurance, the underlying project, parent support policies, quality of management and strategy and recommend appropriate risk mitigation measures
- Ensure compliance with ATI’s policies, including the provisions of the operations manual and ensure that ATI’s policy breaches are properly authorized at the correct senior approving level
- Have contacts with key clients, banks, and obligors in order to develop both general intelligence on a given sector or region and specific information about private obligors and public buyers
- Evaluate and document the soundness of the credit management policies of lenders and traders;
- Contribute to debt collection and risk mitigation actions
- Contribute to corporate communication exercises, workshops, and conferences
- Travel on regular basis to meet information sources, clients, banks, buyers and other business partners
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned to you from time to time
The position will be based in Kenya, with the possibility of relocation to another African country.
Qualifications & Attributes
- Strong credit experience, preferably with an African bank of credit institution
- Fluent in English and, preference will be given to candidates with additional fluency in French or Portuguese
- A minimum of 5 years banking and credit experience in one of the following regions: Francophone East, Central or West Africa
- Good personal network in that region (banking and corporate)
- Master’s Degree in Business/Economics, or equivalent through experience
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
How to Apply:
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- An Application Letter (cover letter)
- CV including details of your current remuneration package along with details of three referees
- Personal History Form.PDF
Candidates are expected to be completely fluent in English therefore all applications must be submitted in English only.
Please note that once your application is submitted, ATI will only contact short-listed candidates. ATI does not accept unsolicited job applications.
ATI offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a collegial working environment commensurate with other multilateral. ATI reserves the right to not make an appointment to the above vacancies, or to make an appointment at a slightly higher or lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.