Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Intern
Job Code: 1263DescriptionTITLE: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Intern
PROGRAM: PAC FP
DUTY STATION: Project Manager- PAC FP
Dar es SalaamEngenderHealth’s vision is a world where sexual and reproductive health rights are respected as human rights, and women and girls have the freedom to reach their full potential. This emphasis on rights directly underpins EngenderHealth’s values and principles: choice, quality, and excellence. To achieve transformational change leading to true social and economic progress, EngenderHealth collaborates with diverse organizations across sectors with the shared goals of highlighting women’s value for sustainable development.
EngenderHealth Tanzania was awarded a five year global Post abortion care Family Planning (PAC-FP) Project by the United State Agency for International Development (USAID) in August 2014. The project aims to document and support alternative models for delivery of post abortion care services with integration of family planning, focusing on increased uptake of long acting reversible contraception (LARC) among PAC clients. The project is currently being implemented in Tanzania and Senegal. In both countries, the project conducts implementation research aimed at addressing persistent obstacles to providing family planning counseling and services, including long-acting reversible contraception and permanent methods to post abortion care clients and lessons learned from these two countries will contribute to global learning in PAC. In Tanzania, the project is implemented in the Lake zone (Mwanza and Geita regions) and Zanzibar (Unguja and Pemba).
The primary role of a research intern is to assist in the day-to-day implementation and operation of multiple research studies conducted by the PAC-FP project. In addition, the intern will gather information on a particular topic that may be the subject of a protocol, project deliverable or publication and carries out extensive internet review and research as guided by supervisor. The Intern may be required to assists in the recruitment of research participants (e.g. eligibility screening, enrollment, scheduling) and administration of participant appointments (informed consent, a collection of survey data, participant reimbursement). The Intern may be required to travel to project sites as appropriate and document information required for producing newsletters project brief’s and other relevant materials, data processing and analysis for priority briefs, assisting with survey deployment and analysis. The Intern should have knowledge of data collection and analysis to determine the impacts of programs and policies.
The position is based in Dar es Salaam and reports to the Project Manager. The period for the position will be six months.RESPONSIBILITIES:
Monitoring and Evaluation
• In collaboration with partner organizations, manage M&E database, ensure the development and maintenance of data quality from the source
• In collaboration with ME&R and programs staff, ensure high-quality data is regularly entered into organizational and project database and reported on a Monthly basis to EHT senior Management
• Design a mechanism and support program team to improve the use of data for decision making
• Oversee and conduct timely analysis and provision of timely data to monitoring progress and deliverablesResearch
• Under the supervision of the project team, participate in the design and implementation of research and evaluation studies for key interventions and initiatives under the PAC FP Project
• Participate in data collection and data analysis
• In collaboration with Regional MEL Advisor, Country MER Manager, provide technical and ethical input, review and sign off for study protocols for the PAC-FP project prior to submission to EH-Tanzania country representation and EH HQ.
• Collaborate with the clinical staff to design, implement as appropriate, and analyze practical research studies to measure the impact of interventions and assess result information not captured through the routine monitoring system
• In collaboration with the ME&R team, lead the writing of manuscripts for publication and submission.
• Ensure timely submission of monthly, quarterly and annual report with indicators reporting for the Project;
• In collaboration with programs staff, ensure timely submission of quality donor reports for the project;
• Work with other staff to document lessons learned, best practices and success stories, including publication of technical briefs and other products .REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess the following requirements with or without a reasonable accommodation.
• Currently enrolled master’s or other post-bachelor’s degree candidate in public health, development studies, social sciences with a focus on health, or related field; or, completion of such within the past 12 months
• Strong and demonstrated interest in RH, maternal health, and/or FP; experience in a related field or organization is preferred.
• Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
• Exceptional writing skills for professional and academic writing preferably experience in producing publications.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated the ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, clients, and consultants.
• Ability to work independently and take the initiative
• Track record on knowledge management and organizational learning
• Experience with DQA, identifying data trends and communicating this information to allow for changes in program implementation
• Proven experience in performing quantitative and qualitative analysisPREFERRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND FUNCTIONS:
• Experience working with NGOs and/or donor-funded programs
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and demands, establish priorities and work effectively in a deadline driven environment; accuracy and attention to detail in the performance of duties is of critical importance.
• Outstanding ability to interact with experts and collaborators across multiple disciplines, program areas, and cultures with exception ability to lead, mentor and support teams.
• Excellent computer skills, with knowledge of necessary analytic software applications (quantitative and qualitative, such as Stata, SPSS, Nvivo and Atlas.ti)
• Fluency in written and oral English required
• Ability to work independently and manage a high volume workflow
• Ability to travel unrestricted within TanzaniaESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Cultural awareness
• Tenacity to succeed in a highly matrixed global organization.TO APPLY
Please visit the careers page at www.engenderhealth.org to submit your application online by 16th July 2018.
Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Intern